In this guide
Contact for support
For further contact information visit the Information Services Contact us page.
EndNote is a software program that allows you to:
- Create and organise a database of your references
- Store PDF documents and other files with your references
- Automatically format in-text citations and bibliographies in your chosen reference style
Who can use EndNote?
EndNote is available on all UWA computers. UWA staff and students can download the program onto their personal machines for free.
Windows users please note: the download option on the UWA Software Download site may not work using Internet Explorer, but will work using Firefox or Chrome.
EndNote X7 for Mac now available for personal downloads
EndNote X7 for Mac is now available for UWA staff and students to download to their personal computers. Visit the EndNote website for information on compatibility and system requirements.
New features* in X7 for Mac include:
- Set your preferences to create clear, organized, and easily searchable names for your PDF documents as you import them by defining your settings in PDF Handling preferences.
- Add subheadings to your bibliography in Microsoft Word using your own categories or predefined by reference type in an output style--great for distinguishing primary and secondary sources.
- Better organize your research materials by using new reference types such as Interview, Podcast, Conference Paper, and Press Release.
- Reorder column headings in the Library reference list by using drag-and-drop and customize which columns display with just a right-click.
- Use improved Sync that occurs in the background so that your work is continuously backed up and always available online and on your iPad.
- Quickly identify groups that are shared in your EndNote online account after the Sync process completes in EndNote desktop.
- Use new options to control the ratings and read/unread field display.
- Copy the record number to another field in a reference using the Copy feature from the Change\Move\Copy Fields command.
- Review program updates automatically.
(*This information is taken from the 'Read Me' document in the EndNote X7 for Mac program.)
EndNote X7 notification
Some EndNote users have reported problems syncing their EndNote X7 desktop client with their EndNote Web account. (Not all users experience this problem.)
The EndNote development team has identified this “client.error.unknown” issue as a fault in the EndNote X7 program. The EndNote development team is working on this and is expecting to release a patch addressing this issue very soon (possibly by the end of July).
If you registered your copy of EndNote, you will receive an e-mail letting you know when this is being released. Please make sure to register your EndNote program using the link: http://endnote.com/contact/register
Posted: 17 July 2013
EndNote X7 now available for personal downloads
The newly released EndNote X7 for Windows is now available for UWA staff and students to download to their personal computers. Testing for version X7 is still to be completed for compatibility on UWA library computers. Visit the EndNote website for information on compatibility and system requirements.
EndNote X7 will not be supported by Information Services until full testing for compatibility is completed. If you require information about this new version, please visit the online tutorials page on the EndNote website. Please email EndnoteCoordinator for further questions.
New features in X7 include:
- Expanded PDF Support
- Designate a PDF auto-import folder that EndNote monitors for you
- Control how PDFs are named within your library
- Automatically create groups when importing folders of PDFs
- Search and cite EndNote references in PowerPoint
- New Category Bibliography options in Cite While You Write for Microsoft Word®
- EndNoteSync Improvements
- Background syncing
- Group Set syncing
- See what groups are shared to others
- Improved Quick Search with multi-phrase search of all fields, including PDF and PDF notes
- New reference types added for Podcast, Interview and Press Release
- Ability to control display of Read/Unread status and Ratings